After Shock is a chlorine reducer that is primarily used with Stain Solution #1, “The Iron, Cobalt and Spot Etching Stuff” to reduce the chlorine to below 1ppm. After Shock can also be used to quickly lower chlorine levels after shocking… great for commercial pools!
Keeping this in consideration, how long does it take for chlorine levels to drop after shocking pool?
One may also ask, how long after shocking a pool can you test the water?
Answer: At least 4 hours and test to make sure the chlorine level is below 10 ppm to ensure swimmers are comfortable.
Can you swim in a pool after you shock it?
After you shock the pool — As soon as your chlorine levels reach 5 ppm or lower, it’s officially safe to swim. Depending on the type of shock used, as well as the amount used, it can take anywhere from 24 hours or even up to a couple of days.
The main difference between Shock and Chlorine is that the shock is a high dose of chlorine, whose only function is to shock by raising the chlorine level in the swimming pool. On the other hand, Chlorine is a general sanitiser used to maintain a crystal and clear pool for swimming.
Having too much chlorine in your pool water can be dangerous. Exposure to high levels of chlorine can cause lung irritation, skin and eye damage, and provoke asthma. Not only is it bad for your health, but it can be bad for your pool due to the increase in chlorine.
Chlorine issues often cause cloudy water. Adding a recommended dose of shock to your pool can clear it right up. Poor circulation or filtration can contribute to cloudy water. Make sure your pump and filter are working properly.
High doses of chlorine, like pool shock, can cause temporary cloudiness as it kills contaminants. High levels of pH, alkalinity, and calcium hardness are more likely to cause cloudy water.